According to American doctor’s studies, limit of High Blood pressure dropped. Read which category you belong.
In American heart community magazine new hypertension guidelines are published, and according to them high blood pressure dropped from 140/90 to 130/80mm Hg.
Until now it was considered that one of three adult have high blood pressure and with these new guidelines that number will be one of every two. However, according to authors, number of adults Who will need therapy with antihypertensive medicines will be increased just a little bit. New guidelines are designed with purpose to help people to identify this potentially deadly condition earlier.
Leading author of guidelines says that special attention should be given to precise measuring off the blood pressure and measuring out of doctor’s office. This is very important for confirming diagnosis off hypertension and to recognize “White coat hypertension” and “masked hypertension”.
“White coat hypertension” occur when pressure is raised in health institution in presence of doctor but not in everyday life.
“Masked hypertension” occur when in presence of doctor pressure is normal but at home it is higher and then it demands change of lifestyle and sometimes use of medicines.
Advanced guidelines also says that change of lifestyle is very important, also they advice diet rich in fruits, vegetables, milk products without fat or with little fat, whole grains, and daily intake of sodium less than 1500mg. Daily intake of alcohol should be limited on 2 drinks for men and 1 for woman and to include physical activity of minimum 30 minutes 3 times a week.
New guidelines define next categories of blood pressure.
- Normal: under 120/80mm Hg
- High normal: 120-130/80mm Hg
- Hypertension of 1st degree: 130-139/80-89mm Hg
- Hypertension 2nd degree: 140/90mm Hg
- Hypertension crisis: higher than 180/higher than 120mm Hg and this kind of patient requires emergency change of therapy or emergency hospitalization if there are signs of organ damage.
Changes in guidelines include next recommendations:
- Use of medicines for hypertension of 1st degree is recommended only if patient already have had heart attack, or stroke or he has high risk from heart attack of stroke because of age, then, if he has diabetes or chronicle kidney disease.
- Many patients will need 2 or more different medicines for blood pressure control, and then compliance will increase if all medicines are combined in one pill.
- Recognition of socioeconomic status and psychosocial stress as a factor of risk for high blood pressure is from essential importance and they must be taken for consideration during of making an individual plan of health came for every patient.
New guidelines are developed by American society for heart, American cardiology college and 9 more health organizations. They are written by the group of 21 scientist and health experts who examined more than 900 published scientific studies based on hypertension theme