THE VERY UNPLEASANT AND VERY COMMON LEG CRAMPS THAT OCCUR DURING THE NIGHT, WHILE YOU SLEEP ARE SEVERE PAINS THAT CAN CAUSE YOU TO WAKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, AND RUIN YOUR SLEEP. VERY OFTEN PAIN CAN ALSO MANIFEST IT SELF IN THE THIGHS AND LEGS, BUT IT USUALLY OCCURS IN THE LOWER LEG PART.
The duration of the pain is different therefore, sometimes it can take a few seconds, and sometimes it takes several minutes and in some cases the pain stays for the rest of the night, and even until the next day.
Both men and women can experience these cramps in the legs, but they occur more frequently in people over the age of 50.
Treatment and prevention of nocturnal leg cramps
- The treatment of leg cramps mainly depends of the reason why they appear in the first place. For example, the solution is to stay well hydrated if the reason is dehydration.
- Make sure that you take enough magnesium and potassium during the day – becouse a known manifestation of the shortage of both of these minerals in the body are associated with the appearing of nocturnal cramps.
- Every night, before going to bed stretch your legs.
- Women should avoid using high heels.
- Use chestnut because it showed excellent in increasing blood flow in the legs.
- Before going to sleep, you might want to treat yourself with a relaxing, warm bath, in order to relieve muscle tension in the body.
What to do when cramps do occur
Knowing the right thing to do when you get a cramp attack, designed to help you and leave you with less pain afterwards.
We present you a few tips on how to deal with leg cramps during the night in a better and more convenient way:
- While sitting with outstretched legs on the floo,r bend your legs at the knees and point your toes toward your knees.
- Get up gradually and walk a bit – shake your legs because it can improve blood flow.
- In a circular motion gently rub the region that is often affected by cramps.
- To reduce discomfort, you can take a tablespoon of mustard.